References & Resources

24-Hour Hotlines & Crisis Lines

Emergency Police, Fire, Medical: Call 9-1-1
Stop a crime in progress, report a fire, or call for an ambulance.

Non-emergency Police: 503-823-3333
Report criminal or suspicious activity or “cold” crime where the suspects have left or there is no suspect information, or call for help if someone has fallen and can’t get up, but isn’t in immediate danger.

Non-emergency East Precinct: 503-823-4800

Oregon Poison Control Center: 800-222-1222 or
For questions or concerns regarding poisoning or toxic exposure.
Multnomah County Mental Health Crisis Line: 503-988-4888
For people experiencing mental illness.
Multnomah County Mental Health & Addiction Services:
Drug & Alcohol Helpline: 800-923-HELP
Confidential crisis and referral line for individuals and family members seeking crisis intervention treatment referral and general chemical dependency information.
Linea de Ayuda (Drug & Alcohol Helpline for Spanish-speakers): 877-515-7848
Crisis line for speakers of Spanish who are experiencing drug and alcohol problems; staffed by highly skilled volunteer crisis workers.Problem Gambling: 1-877-MY Limit (1-877-695-4648) People wishing to speak with a counselor about problems related to gambling. Treatment is free, confidential and it works.
Multnomah County Child Abuse Hotline: 503-731-3100
To report child abuse or for information about abuse.
Portland Women’s Crisis Line: 503-235-5333
Hotline for battered women, others in crisis. Shelter information.
Multnomah County Domestic Violence Services:
Multnomah County Aging & Disability Services Helpline: 503-988-3646
Information and assistance to seniors, people with disabilities, and caregivers.
YouthLine: 877-553-TEEN (8336)
A peer-to-peer crisis line for teens. Youth working under the supervision of an adult answer calls on diverse topics including substance abuse, depression, self-harm, dating violence and other issues.
Youth Seeking Homeless Services & Assistance: 503-432-3986
Hotline for young people under the age of 25 needing shelter, safety off the streets, or other crisis services.
Runaway Youth Crisis Line: 503-233-8111
Call if your child (ages 17 and under) has run away from home, and you need crisis intervention or family mediation and reunification services.
Oregon Partnership Lifeline/National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
Hopeline Network Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
Public Alerts:
News and information on major service disruptions in the Portland-Vancouver Metro area.
Help for Veterans: Call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 503-412-4777
Multnomah County Animal Services Call Center: 503-988-7387
To report stray, barking, injured or aggressive animals.
More info about MultCo Animal Services here.

Crime Prevention

Non-emergency Police: 503-823-3333

Report criminal or suspicious activity or “cold” crime where the suspects have left or there is no suspect information.Non-emergency East Precinct: 503-823-4800

Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement Crime Prevention Center:
Educational materials, neighborhood demographics, etc.
4747 E. Burnside Street, Portland, OR 97215
Phone: 503-823-4064 (M-F, 8am–5pm)ONI’s Crime Prevention Program publishes a variety of handouts in PDF format.
Neighborhood Crime Prevention Coordinator: Marianna Lomanto, 503-823-3432
Community organizing, problem-solving advice, and education.
Crime Prevention Program Manager: 503-823-2030
East Precinct Crime Prevention Program Coordinator: 503-823-2781
Neighborhood Response Team (NRT): 503-823-4800
Sgt. Randy Teig: 503-823-4545
Multnomah County Neighborhood-based Deputy District Attorney: Nathan Vasquez, 503-823-5044
Crime Stoppers: 503-823-HELP (4357) or
Help solve a crime by submitting a tip.
Drug and Vice: Call 503-823-3784 to report illegal activity.
Identity Theft: Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information
Alarm Information Program: 503-823-0031
Call for information about home and commercial alarms.
Sex Offender Registration Unit: 503-378-3720 x4429 or
Call for list of registered sex offenders in your zip code.
Online resource provided by the Oregon Department of Corrections and Oregon Department of Justice in cooperation with the Oregon Sheriffs’ Association and the Oregon Youth Authority. Search for information regarding an offender’s current custody status; register to be notified automatically when an offender is released, transferred, escapes, dies or has a change in parole or probation status.
Neighborhood Safety for Kids
A list of tips and resources for neighborhood safety for kids and teens

Emergency Preparedness

PREP Portland:

Practical information on getting ready for any potential emergency, from storms and power outages to floods and earthquakes. This information will help you and your neighbors to make it through on your own, when authorities are overwhelmed and unable to respond promptly after a major disaster. PREP offers step-by-step tips, with printable checklists and links to more information.

Portland Bureau of Emergency Management NETs Program:

Neighborhood Emergency Teams (NETs) are Portland residents trained by PBEM and Portland Fire & Rescue to provide emergency disaster assistance within their own neighborhoods. NET members are trained to save lives and property until professional responders can arrive.

American Red Cross Preparedness:

Make your own preparedness tool kit, check out life-saving mobile apps, organize a Red Cross presentation or get information for your family, school, or co-workers.

Public Alerts
News and information on major service disruptions in the Portland-Vancouver Metro area.

General Neighborhood Resources

Southeast Uplift: 503-232-0010
The Neighborhood Coalition Office for Southeast Portland, SE Uplift provides support and technical assistance to neighborhood associations, community groups and individual community activists for the twenty neighborhoods south of I-84.
Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement:
ONI promotes a culture of civic engagement by connecting and supporting all Portlanders working together and with government to build inclusive, safe and livable neighborhoods and communities. Their website contains all kinds of useful information, including How to Host a Block Party and coordination of citywide gatherings to celebrate National Night Out (first Tuesday in August).
Resolutions Northwest: 503-595-4890
This non-profit organization provides free or low-cost mediation and facilitation services. Their Neighborhood Mediation Programprovides neighbors and families in Portland with a confidential and compassionate process for resolving conflicts in a positive and personal way.

Information & Referral

City/County Information & Referral: 503-823-4000
State of Oregon Service Information: 800-SAFENET (723-3638)
Portland Public Schools Communications: 503-916-3304
Health & Human Services Referral: 2-1-1 (M-F 8am-7pm; Sat/Sun 2-10pm)
On the web:
Free information about more than 5,000 health, community, and social services that can help. Resources for those who need shelter.
Multnomah County Environmental Health Program
Addresses such issues as: food-borne illness; poor indoor air quality; lead poisoning; toxic chemicals; vector-borne diseases such as West Nile Virus; contaminated water; mercury poisoning; diesel particulate matter.
Portland Auditor’s OpenCity Tip Line: 866-342-4148 or go online to EthicsPoint to anonymously report suspected fraud, waste or misuse of City resources, and abuse of position.
Oregon Attorney General’s Consumer Hotline: 503-229-5576 or 877-877-9392 (8:30am-4:30pm)
For questions about a consumer-related issue or to file a complaint against a business.
State of Oregon Department of Justice: Online Consumer Complaint Form
What to know who represents you? Find your legislators

Neighborhood Safety & Livability

Animal Services 24-hour Call Center: 503-988-7387
Call to report stray, barking, injured or aggressive animals.
Oregon Human Society: 503-285-7722.
Report abuse or neglect of animals.
Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon: 503-797-2606 or
Multnomah County Animal Services:

PAW Team: 971-333-0729 or
Provides help with pet expenses for very low-income people.
Pongo Fund Pet Food Bank: 503-939-7555 or
Multnomah County Vector Control: 503-988-3464
Call to report rodent infestations, mosquito breeding grounds.Pest Prevention and Control (rats, mosquitos, bed bugs)

ODFW Wildlife Control Operators Contacts
(commercial, licensed critter-handling services)
Syringe Disposal assistance: 503-234-3000
Graffiti abatement: 503-823-5860
Works to decrease graffiti in Portland through improved education, prevention and coordination of removal efforts in collaboration with Portland Police Bureau and other community partners.
Graffiti Reporting Hotline: 503-823-4TAG / Online graffiti reporting form
PLEASE NOTE: It’s important to remove graffiti as soon as possible after reporting. Your local hardware store can provide advice on effective products.
Liquor License Notification: 503-823-3092
Provides notification to and opportunity for input from neighbors, businesses and community groups on liquor license applications, renewals, and nuisance activities arising from liquor-licensed establishments.
Oregon Liquor Control Commission 24-hour liquor outlet complaint line: 503-872-5070
Online Liquor Complaint Form
Document neighborhood livability/nuisance incidents arising from establishments that serve alcohol.
City Code Violations: 823-CODE (2633) / Online code violation reporting form
Violations can include vehicles, construction without permits, residential and commerical, tree/vegetation, noise and other.
NOTE: Before reporting, refer to the online chart, What is a Violation?
Neighborhood Inspections: 503-823-7306
To report dilapidated or dangerous building conditions, tall grass, trash in yard, cars parked on yard.

Resources for Renters
Renters Rights Hotline: 503-288-0130
Community Alliance of Tenants:
Portland Tenants Union:
Legal Aid: 503-224-4086

Illegal Camping: Report via the city’s One Point of Contact Campsite Reporting Program, or email (or call 503-823-4000) with location, size, and nature of the camping issue (vehicles, tents, or both).

Noise Control: 503-823-7350
Call to report ongoing noise problems.
NOTE: For specific information on what kinds of noises are allowed during what hours, check out the City of Portland’s Noise Code (Title 18).

Street Maintenance and Traffic Safety Issues on City-maintained Streets: Bureau of Transportation

24/7 Street Maintenance & Repair: 503-823-1700 / Email BOMDispatch[at]

Report a sidewalk repair issue: 503-823-1711 / Email sidewalkrepair[at]

Report a Traffic Safety Issue: 503-823-SAFE (7233)

Abandoned Vehicles Hotline: 503-823-7309
Call to report abandoned vehicles with missing or invalid plates, visibly inoperable and stored on the street.

Report a Street Light Outage: Call 503-865-LAMP (5267) or report online.

NW Grocery Association Shopping Cart Retrieval Service: 1-888-55-CARTS

Regional Illegal Dumping Patrol: Call 503-234-3000 or use this online form to report illegal dumping (Metro).

Sleep Help: Having trouble sleeping? Visit for resources and information on how to improve your sleep. Also find information about bedbugs here.

Police & Security

Emergency Police, Fire, Medical: 9-1-1
Stop a crime in progress, report a fire, or call for an ambulance.
Non-emergency Police: 503-823-3333
Report criminal or suspicious activity or “cold” crime where the suspects have left or there is no suspect information.Southeast Precinct Desk (M–F, 7am–5pm): 503-823-2143
East of SE Cesar Chavez (39th) to I-205, south of I-84. Call to talk to supervisors, specific district officers, or Neighborhood Response Team officers.
Drug House Complaint Line: 503-823-DRUGGang Enforcement Team: 503-823-4106
Call to report activity you think might be gang-related.To obtain copies of police reports: 503-823-0041

Portland Online Crime Reporting
For reporting theft, vandalism (not graffiti–see below), and lost property.
Portland Maps – Crime Mapper
See crime stats for a defined area of the city.

Portland Parks & Recreation Security: 503-823-1637
Call to report Portland Park security issues or off-leash dogs.Click here to report a park problemClick here to report a campsite

Resources for Seniors & Disabled Persons

Multnomah County Aging & Disability Services Helpline: 503-988-3646
Information and assistance to seniors, people with disabilities, and caregivers.
Aging & Disability Resource Connection
SE District Senior Center (Impact Northwest): 503-988-6300
4610 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97215
Multnomah County Aging and Disability Services
SE Portland Office: 503-988-3660; TTY 503-988-6026
Serves seniors and people with disabilities living in Multnomah County south of Burnside, east of Willamette River, and west of 82nd Avenue.

Police Home Security Program:
503-823-0723This Portland Police Bureau program provides free locksmith services for low-income senior homeowners, disabled, and crime victims.
Fire Department (non-emergency) Safety Program: 503-823-3700
Free fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for low-income senior homeowners.
Ride Connection: 503-226-0700
Nonprofit providing transportation options for older adults, people with disabilities, and other people in need
Gatekeeper Program: This Multnomah County outreach program helps identify seniors at risk.

Sustainability Links

Portland City Links

Metro Links

Multnomah Co. Links